Navigation Menu

Chocorn (Recipe to Riches) vs Cadbury Review

So this post is a bit late. A week and a bit to be precise. Chocorn was the winner from 2 weeks ago on Recipes to Riches. I was yet again going to boycott this purchase as they're charging $8 for chocolate covered popcorn but something inside me said 'Just Do It'.

So here I am holding my purchase and thinking about how they said he's a genius and big companies would be kicking themselves for not being able to think of something so simple and here and behold I find Cadbury with their new release.. chocolate covered popcorn.
So what we have here is a good old duel. Cadbury vs Newbie. Who will win? Which one should you buy?

Let's start off with the big, bad world of Cadbury. Their packaging is familiar (actually aren't those the colours of Crunchie?), their chocolate is sweet and milky as usual but their popcorn tastes like they left it out for days and then they coated it in chocolate. Quite unpleasant experience and probably would not buy it again. I suppose if they had no competitor this half-completed snack would have satisfied some of the masses but in the red corner we have Chocorn.

Chocorn comes in a fancy shmancy box (tarnished slightly by the Woolworths Select logo): it's attempt to be more high class and compete with Ferrero. Inside the box each flavour is individually packeted. The packaging budget must have ran out because it looks quite unappealing at this level.
We'll start off with the basics. The popcorn. OMG it was sweet and salty and beautifully crunchy. I think the show and advertising for it didn't do it justice as I reckon I could eat them by the boxful. I'm so glad that the product itself was genuinely delicious and worth my hard earned dollars.
Flavour One: White Chocolate with Macadamias. What a simple combination that's always worked. Nothing new and original but you're guaranteed a great flavour.

Flavour Two: Milk chocolate and Hazelnuts. Yet again a great simple combo that's always worked. I wish they marketed some of his other flavours from the show. We need something new and original.

Flavour Three: Dark Chocolate with Fleur de Sel (hand harvested sea salt). Salty, bitter and amazingly addictive. I love the contrast.

Hands down winner is Chocorn. Not value for money but quality over quantity in this case.