Navigation Menu

Red Pepper at the Club

So what is with Koreans making better chicken than the Colonel. 

My fiancee has been raving about this joint since she last tried it and I finally get to see what the fuss is all about. The restaurant is set in a sports club/bar venue surrounded by caged soccer fields and tennis courts. I had my doubts about the location but I'm always comforted when you walk in and majority of diners are Korean. 
The first dish was Gangjung which is described as a Korean rice and peanut cookie that is sweet and crispy, a flavour profile that is then apparently applied to their fried chicken. It's a combination of sweet and salty and just plain messy and sticky to eat. They never seem to supply enough serviettes to compliment messy foods. It comes with fried rice cake sticks on the side which isn't as pleasant as their normal rice cake drenched in chilli sauce.
Our second choice for the night was just fried chicken with a side order of mustard sauce. I love the mustard sauce as it reminded me of Maccas. The crunch is fantastic, it felt bad for you but I just couldn't stop eating. I love how neither choices left my chicken dry, or overly soaked in oil. 

I didn't even bother ordering any rice to eat this with. Just paired it up with an ice cold beer, great company and it was perfect. They even have Bulmers by the bottle for only $7. Shame that the choices on tap were very limited.

I might be biased but I just love chicken... and to find a place that makes it great is such a gem. Will definitely be back next time with the fiancee to chow down the hot and spicy option.