Navigation Menu

Khanh Hoa Salangane's Nest Drink

Tonight we drink like an Emperor....

Salanganes, also known as swallows or swifts, produce edible bird's nests  which have a high concentration of their digest intakes. These birds have the special ability to make a nest using their saliva, from the vast supplies of marine life from the sea after digesting them. Lab analysis has found that bird’s nest is very rich in protein, mineral and iron. I'm so glad I didn't read this before I drank it.

Bird's nest are found in hard to reach places such as mountains and cliffs. Back in the day it was rare to obtain this and it was believed to be only fit for the emperor's consumption. Those who consumed the bird's nest regularly had miraculous health benefits. It cannot be explained or analysed through lab tests but it seems to have the ability to regenerate new cells in the human body and to cleanse lungs and blood. People who consistently consume them retain youthful complexions hence why many actresses and singers make it as one of their top dietary priorities in their quest for natural beauty.
This is a product of Vietnam and there's apparently over 100 Bird Nest Stores in Ho Chi Minh alone. There's three main ways of getting the bird's nest: 1) Breeding them, 2) Getting them from the mountains and cliffs and 3) Imports from neighbouring Asian countries.

I didn't know what to expect when I decided to try it. I cracked opened the can and took a whiff. Nothing. I took a few sips... and nothing. There was this melted jelly like texture which I can assume was the bird's nest but it was drowned out in all the sugar and water. 

I can understand drinking this for it's health benefits.... but I can't imagine consuming this long enough to turn back the hands of time.