Navigation Menu

The Soda Factory Hot Dogs

We stood outside staring at a sign that says Bobby's Boss Dogs.  The security guard points at the door behind him... I had to take my phone out to confirm the address. As I walk pass he goes 'I told you.'
This cool Coke door takes you into the best $1 hot dogs in town......yes you heard me right $1.....
 As you enter in, the lights are dim and the room was already buzzing and this is a Tuesday night just after 6pm. I had no doubt this place would be packed. Selling gourmet hot dogs for $1, I'm surprised this place isn't congested with Oz Bargainers and Uni Students. Instead it was young and happening, all civilized people out to have some good food and drinks on a weeknight.

The decor is vintage-cool... pictured below is the "table" we sat at. We used the scooter seat as our table top and my fiancee even had the side mirrors to check herself out. 
Not wanting to miss out on anything we chose one of everything on their dollar dog menu. 
From left to right:

The Frank Sinatra: This was my 2nd favourite hot dog. The delicious sausage with mustard, juicy pickle and the crunch of the onion ring made me feel like I was eating a burger and combination was fantastic with the different textures. It didn't feel bogged down with sauce or cheese but still had a great flavour. The bread (on all dogs) was basic and well for $1 you can't really complain.

The Texas Redneck: When reading the menu this was definitely the one I was looking forward to the most: chilli, cheese, BBQ sauce, it had the makings of a great hot dog. This ended up being my least favourite of the night. It's biggest let down was the sauce... I hate places that claim there's chilli and there is just no oomph to back it up. The sauce also made it very messy to eat.. and especially when you're standing, or half seating and balancing the hot dog with a napkin.. this just isn't a great choice. 

The Buffalo Bill Chicken Dog: Winner winner chicken dinner! This ticked all the boxes tonight. The battered chicken sausage was nice and crunchy yet juicy on the inside and then covered in a delectable buffalo chicken sauce and cheese that made me drool for a second one. It was so fantastic my fiancee and I both ordered a second serving of it. The only gripe I have with this is the possibility of getting those green bits stuck to your teeth.. makes for embarrassing half smiles while trying to lick them off and possible awkward first date memories.

Bobby's Bogan Dog: Last but not least the Bogan Dog. A magnificent lamb sausage dressed in a thick and creamy feta, peas and Dijon mustard sauce. The first bite of this was so O-M-G... but for some reason the more I ate it, I felt like I enjoyed it less. The combination of the feta and mashed peas taste was drowning out the lamb sausage.
My tips for this place is get there early... it gets very packed and you'll find yourself standing in everyone's way holding multiple hot dogs and waiting over 20 minutes for them to come out. You can only order a maximum of 6 at a time I think (my fiancee and I managed to polish off 7 between us through two orders... and yes we need to go on a diet).  

I'm still full and flabbergasted at the $1 price tag and you might find me here weekly getting my Chicken Sausage fix....