Navigation Menu

Lamb, Harissa and Almond Sausage Roll

Cnetral Baking Depot (CBD) is the little sister of Bourke Street Bakery which explains its great success. The bakery has minimal sitting room which seemed to always be occupied but most of their patrons just buy to go. 
I was informed that after eating their Lamb, Harissa and Almond Sausage Roll I would not be able to eat a normal sausage roll again. That's a major call and I find myself here to test the theory.

First of all, I think most normal sausage rolls are pretty horrible. They usually need to be drenched with tomato sauce for any sort of flavour or are so oily it makes the paper bag translucent. So a sausage roll super hero has been in need for some time.
The golden pastry was crunchy and delicious and very pleasant to the eyes as well as the belly. It was not overly oily but you can't have a sausage roll too dry and "healthy"... that would kill the appetising aspect. The lamb and harissa is a killer combo. The sausage roll was of standard measurements but I couldn't get enough of it. 

The downfall for me was the almonds and currants in the mixture. I can appreciate the need to reinvent the sausage roll but the carnivore in me just feels like these things are in the way and unnecessary. Despite this minute hurdle, this is still hands down one of the best sausage rolls I've had.
At $4.50 per sausage roll, it's pricier than your local servo roll or the one's you can get at Asian bakeries BUT its definitely worth the extra investment for something so full of flavour and love.