Navigation Menu

Lily Pilly Fruit

First up, big thanks to my co-worker for thinking of me when he decided to pick this from his garden. I'm always a believer of trying new things.

I was expecting a sweet and juicy, little berry with maybe a slightly sour aftertaste. It tasted like I shouldn't be eating it. It was bland with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm sure if I ever chose to eat grass, this is what it would resemble.



Fortunately there is a good use for this:

Lilly Pilly Jelly

Fruit for jelly should be fully matured, but not over-ripe. Adjust the quantities to suit the amount of fruit you have.
  • lilly pilly fruit
  • water
  • sugar
  • lemon juice

Method

1. Put lilly pilly fruit into a preserving pan or heavy saucepan with enough water to just come to the top of the fruit but not cover it. Boil rapidly till the fruit is soft.
2. Strain through a clean cloth (eg muslin) and allow all the liquid to run through. Do not press the fruit as this may make the jelly cloudy.
3. Measure the liquid and allow a cup of sugar for each cup of liquid. Put the strained liquid, sugar and juice of a lemon into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil until it jells when tested on a cold plate.
4. Bottle in sterilised jars. (Hint: add extra lemon juice or use a jam setting product containing pectic, like Jamsetta, if the jelly is slow to jell.)