Navigation Menu

Crispy Salt Pepper Mushroom @ Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks

Recently I decided to change my morning walking route and this detour led me to discovering my next snacking venue.

This particular store is located at the UTS end of the Central tunnel. The lights are dim, the location gets a lot of foot traffic but in general the area looks a bit like where shops go to die... especially that Hip Hop Clothing store that's been holding it's closing down sale for the last few years yet it's still open.

Here's a snippet about them: Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks have been long established and loved by many in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia and are well known for their range of menu items that are famous Taiwanese street snacks from the Shihlin Markets. Shihlin offers foods that are not a fad and can be eaten anytime of the day whether you are eating on the run and are able to sit down and enjoy a relaxed dinning experience.
The mushrooms are battered and chucked in a deep fryer and I watch them cook rapidly and then poured into my paper bag. Topped off with a pair of chopsticks to add "authenticity". 

It was surprisingly delicious. Though what deep fried snack isn't. The batter and mushrooms combined reminds me of a cinnamon donut with pepper and salt seasoning. It was incredibly addictive, as I walked and ate. That in itself was annoying because the oil was quite abundant and they didn't pack any napkins with my order. I guess the chopsticks was almost a necessity. 
The service was friendly, but more so because I was one of the two people eating in their restaurant. I'm actually surprised how interesting their menu is and would be more than happy to come back and do some more reviews. Any excuse to snack.