Navigation Menu

Dave's Ghost Pepper Naga Jolokia Hot Sauce

Wow so excited when I saw this at Granville Markets in Vancouver. A market stall with a small selection of chilli sauces. I think my time in Canada and America was filled with chilli adventures.
It had to be wrapped carefully amongst my clothes. So worried that it'd explode in my suitcase and eat through all my stuff.

It has always been on my to-do list to try ghost chilli... but the sauce is probably as brave as I can go. This sits at a massive 650,000 scoville units. Hotter than the last bottle I got. I'm still keen on buying a bottle at the 1 million scoville unit mark.

It's definitely hot. A nice initial taste which is slowly over run by heat, heat and then more heat. I gave it to my workmate and he was coughing for about 30 minutes. Probably not best to be consumed on its own, but where's the fun in that?

So my cousin took me to Wing Dome in Seattle. I attempted a 7 alarm hot wing. I manage to get 2 bites of one wing and the chilli sensation was so strong that my lip was still tingling the next morning. According to the waitress there's pure capsaicin powder mixed in the sauce. Hence the unbelievable burn it delivers.

My other experience was out of a page from Man VS Food. We hit Portland and we had to go to Salvador Molly's and try the Great Balls of Fire. Unfortunately before hand we had some lunch and I was bit full so we decided not to do the eating challenge and just ordered one each. The waitress made a mistake and gave us 5 Habernero Fritters between 3 people. Looking around you notice a warning sign.. that's when you know things just got serious.

My fiancée managed to almost finish one, my cousin took a bite and called it quits, and me (being so Asian) felt it was a waste so I polished off 3. Dear God.. that was a mistake. After sculling down a glass and a half of cold milk, I ran to the bathroom trying to wash the insane burn off my mouth. That didn't work. I started to try and wipe the chilli off with a napkin. That didn't work.
We decided to leave, I just sat there with my tongue hanging out feeling delirious...10 minutes in was the most painful experience of my life. The chilli reached my stomach and was burning everything in sight. I was sweating non stop and tossing and turning in my seat. I felt like everything was melting from the inside out... next thing I know I'm running down a free-way trying to get fresh air and running into a petrol station, spending over an hour in the bathroom (mind you the peeing sensation felt like needles coming out) and in-taking all this antacid and milk.

My stomach was stuffed up for a day and a half. What a chilli experience I'll never forget....