Navigation Menu

An Phat Cake Shop Durian Bean Paste & Yolk

Made from the An Phat Cake Shop in Cabramatta but I purchased it from a distributor out in Canley Heights.
I've always loved this kind of Asian snack. Filled with creamy and flavoursome bean paste. This one in particular was the Durian one. I'm personally not a big Durian fan but really love their by-products. The outer pastry tastes like it stale but I'm pretty sure that's how its meant to be and there's an egg yolk in the middle (another personal pet hate is the yolk in this and other sweets like Moon Cake).
I've been on a mini mission lately to introduce Durian flavours to my work colleagues knowing fair well how many people are disgusted by the taste if they were not brought up on it. I've started them on Durian candy... very mild sensation. Next up will have to be some wafer biscuit.

For those who don't know, Durian is a fruit that's usually enjoyed in the South-Eastern Asian countries. It's covered in thorns and has a very strong odour, so strong that the edible flesh emits the smell penetrating the husk. The smell is really a hit or miss kind of thing. Some regard it is fragrant and beautiful and some find the aroma more overpowering and revolting. The smell has been described as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine, raw sewage, and smelly socks.
The smell is so strong that lot's of hotels have banished the fruit from being brought in.
The only thing that annoyed me about this delicious sweet is the red stamping. Umm... the label of your business is already on the packaging... don't go red stamping all over my food!!!