Navigation Menu

Voodoo Rocky Road

So my visit to the Aroma Festival isn't complete without stopping at Voodoo. Why? Well....this actually started at the Winter Festival back in 2009 which marked a few big occasions: 

1) My close friend from high school proposed to the girl he's always loved

2) I found myself drinking one of the best hot chocolates I've ever tasted (from Voodoo).
And from then on my world was turned upside down. I've been on some secret hunt to find this amazing hot chocolate... just to retry it and confirm that it was the bright lights, fake snow, cold air and the outdoor ice skating rink that made the hot chocolate ever so great.

No hot chocolate for sale.....the second best thing I can find here was their rocky road. I love rocky road, especially the one from the dearly departed Darrel Lea. Which still can be found at my local Coles amongst the other chocolates. Definitely a small range but still existing.

So Rocky Road was invented in Australia back in 1853. It was actually created as a way of selling confectionery that had gone bad from its long journey. So the "creative" businessmen sold the chocolate to the un-culture but wealthy people of Melbourne. So they mixed the spoiled confectionery with low grade chocolate and then added locally foraged nuts. The name actually comes from the "Rocky Roads" the travelers had to take to get to the gold fields.

The main ingredients in Rocky Road are:marshmallow, chocolate (milk, dark or white chocolate),gelatin preparation, desiccated coconut and nuts.
The sample above is the Raspberry and Cream, and White Chocolate. The raspberry candy sticks to your teeth and the outer chocolate is hard and breaks off into slightly sharp shards that jab into your gums. It felt awkward to eat. 

The white chocolate was slightly better but still not above average. 

It consisted largely of chocolate and marshmallows and I can't really sense they enhanced it with any "locally foraged nuts".

Unfortunately this snack does not resemble how great I remember my Voodoo hot chocolate experience. I would call this way below par compared to Darrel Lea.