Navigation Menu

Bourke Street Bakery

So the sun is up and I feel adventurous. I decided to scoff down my lunch and walk to Bourke Street Bakery.

After a quick search on Google Maps....the 7.2 KM round trip by foot better be worth it.

I arrived at the destination all puffed out after trying to fight through the pedestrians in Surry Hills and Central Station. It's crowded areas like those that test how stupid people walk. There was a line of up to 4 to 5 deep... but a quick glance at most reviews indicate there's ALWAYS a line. On the plus side he service is quick and the wait is minimal. The challenge is deciding before you reach the front of the line.
I chose not to eat the tarts until back at the office and that itself was almost a bad decision after I had two close misses with careless joggers who decided it's a great idea to move at fast speeds through crowded footpaths.

My first pick was the Chocolate Raspberry Tart. 
The tart's pastry is thin and crispy. It has a nice crunch between my teeth. In fact it acts as a bowl that holds the chocolate mousse, chocolate sprinkles with a touch of beautiful and sour raspberry jam in the centre. 

Since it's dark chocolate, it makes it slightly bitter but perfectly delicious. I would definitely walk the distance for another. It reminded me of a tart-shaped cannoli. 

For my second pick, I went with a pet hate of mine... Ginger-flavoured foods: The Ginger Brulee Tart. I decided to go for something that I wouldn't normally enjoy to test how well this place made their treats. Can it be so good it converts me to a ginger lover?
The pastry was identical, crumbles beautifully and the custard inside had a medium hint of ginger which was quite tolerable for me. The top layer did not break as nicely with the cracking sensation like a crème brulee but it still tasted fantastic. And all topped off with a sprinkle of pistachios...which can never be wrong. 
I don't think I'll be reaching for ginger foods more often after this experience but I'm definitely going back and bring others with me to taste their savoury pastries and famous Passionfruit Meringue Tart.

Free promotion for Bourke Street Bakery: