Navigation Menu

Adriana Zumbo Zonut

I guess for a Friday we all deserve a treat.. how about a Zonut?

So Zumbo is most well known for his macarons and that's fine and dandy.... until I met the Zonut!
I didn't realise what I just bought. It was a passing comment recommendation from a food loving workmate. I would walk by daily and just do a quick glance but never see it for sale.

This croissant-doughnut hybrid (called a cronut) craze first hit New York. Now available in Sydney and interpreted by Zumbo (interpret was the term used by him as opposed to "copying" used by the original creator).  

This is a Zonut: a croissant-doughnut hybrid pastry. It has delicate and flaky pastry layers of a croissant with the deep fried goodness of a doughnut. 
I've been informed it's made daily and usually sold out by 1pm. They make 2 flavours per week and possibly rotates them so you might be able to retry ones you've missed.

There's a limit of 4 per person and the recommendation is to devour them within 6 hours of purchase. I don't think that's a hard feat.... considering I had to resist all my urges to polish it off while trying to snap some photos.

I manage to grab myself 2 Passion Fruit Cheesecake Zonuts. After my first bite.. my life changed. This has got to be one of the best things in the Zumbo store @ The Star (also available at their Balmain store). The doughnut feels like it melts in your mouth. Sweet cream on top with the passion fruit (only slightly sour) custard oozing through the croissant pastry layers. I have the other one on my desk which I'm planning on saving it for my fiancée to try. It's going to take all my will power to not eat it and embarrassingly just show her an empty paper bag.
In my opinion, this should be the new benchmark of doughnuts. None of that heavy,doughy, original-style deep-fried doughnut you get my Donut King or even worse Coles bakery.... we demand.. no we need this delightful, light and airy monster-size hybrid that packs such a delicious and cushy punch.